Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Photos: Wye Oak / Lands & Peoples @ Ottobar

Wye Oak


Last Friday night Wye Oak played a homecoming show after national tours with Lower Dens and Shearwater, and their arrival back home was greeted graciously. Lands and Peoples and Ami Dang opened up the affair, which went down at the sold out Ottobar.

Lands and Peoples
Lands and Peoples put on yet another brilliant display of sonically-rich folk pop, and listening ears welcomed their sounds in awe and with gratitude. Their set clocked in at an ideal 30 minutes, and was capped off by a stellar rendition of "In Living Colour".

Lands and Peoples and Wye Oak
Wye Oak killed it, seemingly eager to play to a packed club full of friends and close followers. This was the celebration of their new EP, a five song gem now out on Merge that was produced by Chris Freeland and Mickey Free in their studio outside of Baltimore. Andy and Jenn invited Lands and Peoples to join them for a song, a cover of Rod Lee's infamous "Dance My Pain Away".

Get the full set of photos compliments of Valerie after the jump.

Wye Oak
Wye Oak

Wye Oak

Lands and Peoples and Wye Oak

Lands and Peoples
Lands and Peoples

Lands and Peoples

Lands and Peoples

Lands and Peoples


Photos by Valerie

4 comments:

The Baltimore Chop said...

I hate to admit it, but I'm just not into that Dance My Pain Away cover. The brilliance of that song is that it's a dance track with profoundly sad lyrics.

The cover is just a low-fi slow-ish song with profoundly sad lyrics. Not the same thing.

Brett said...

hello, baltimore chop.

were you at this show? it was a great way to help end a set, and lead to a bit of a rod lee inspired dance party downstairs and then upstairs.

I'll admit, I was pretty drunk. But it was a damn good time regardless.

The Baltimore Chop said...

I went to the baseball game that night instead of the show, so I've only heard the recorded version or their cover.

Travel Light said...

I think Wye Oak is a great band and the "Dance My Pain Away" cover sounds good, but I agree that it's a misstep, probably from a couple angles, one of which is what TBC sums up well.