Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Below is a list of my favorite records released by artists from Baltimore in 2010. Before I began to ponder these albums, I had to decide whether or not to include work released through a local label that got started up this year, Friends Records.
I've never considered Bmore Musically Informed a proper form of journalism, but I still feel uneasy about endorsing records on this list that I have personally been involved with releasing (re: Height, Sri Aurobindo, Weekends, Celebration, and other friends). While I have chosen to leave them off this list, my affection for them is already pretty clear.
Again this year there was a long list of amazing releases to come out of Baltimore, churning in all kinds of diversity to invade your ear-space. Hear for yourself...
20. Holy Ghost Party - Prog Parents // Wtr Clr
19. Pfisters - Narcicity // Fan Death
18. Crazy Dreams Bands - War Dream // Holy Mountain
17. Lizz King - All Songs Go To Heaven // Ehse
16. Rapdragons - Featuring Baltimore // LTD Comp
15. Dead Drums - Fashion Defense // Self-released
14. Raindeer - Raindeer EP // Self-released
13. The Art Department - Paperwork / Birdwork // Gen Pop
12. Romantic States - Romantic States // Tater Junction
11. Do While - Do While // Wigflip
10. Mickey Free - Last of the Tight Wiggers // Self-released
9. Happy Family / Run DMT - Banana Split // Wigflip
8. Daniel Higgs - Say God // Thrill Jockey
7. Jason Urick - Fussing & Fighting // Thrill Jockey
Wye Oak - My Neighbor / My Creator // Merge
5. Double Dagger - Masks // Thrill Jockey
4. Beach House - Teen Dream // Sub Pop
3. Dustin Wong - Infinite Love // Thrill Jockey
2. Lower Dens - Twin Hand Movement // Gnomonosong
1. Future Islands - In Evening Air // Thrill Jockey