Monday, December 7, 2009

Chrissy's Favorite Show Photos of 2009

Dan Deacon Whartscape 2009
Chrissy was Bmore Musically Informed's first contributor besides me, and she's had herself a pretty rad year taking some pictures of music being played. Here's her ten favorite photos she took in 2009, and her take on each shot.

I've been having a lot of fun shooting photos for bmoremusic.net over the past year. I picked ten of my favorite shots from '09. I decided on these ones not just based on how the images look, but also on the experiences I had at the shows and other random urges. I have a lot of technically and compositionally great photos, but these are the ones that really stick out to me. Here's to hoping 2010 will be just as awesome.

10. Double Dagger at Sonar
Double Dagger at Sonar
Nolan hopped the barricade several times during this set. Here he is singing directly to this girl in the crowd who seemed kind of nervous about it.

9. Future Islands at the Zodiac
Future Islands at the Zodiac
Sam ascending! That's all I really have to say about this one.

8. The Flaming Lips at Merriweather
The Flaming Lips at Merriweather Post Pavilion
I've been a Flaming Lips fan for years, so having the chance to not only see them up-close and for free, but I got to photograph them too! They put on a great show and best of all I got to stay in the pit for the entire show.

7. Nobunny at the Ottobar
Nobunny at the Ottobar
One intense show. From walking in to see Nobunny's ass immediately in my face hanging off the side of the stage to my friend randomly stage-diving during the set, this show was one big party.

6. Double Dagger at Whartscape
Double Dagger at Whartscape 2009
For this set someone behind the stage (I think it may have been William of Future Islands, but I forget...) convinced me to get up on the stage. I was drunk enough to do it. I'm glad. The Double Dagger crowd are a bit too violent for me so it was nice to feel safe while getting shots of them.

5. Dan Deacon at Sonar
Dan Deacon at Sonar
Sweaty kids partying!

4. Celebration outside the Metro Gallery
Celebration outside the Metro Gallery
Katrina is always a nice subject to photograph and I like the candidness of this shot.

3.
Spank Rock & Ninjasonik with Johnny Siera at Sonar
Spank Rock at Sonar
Johnny came out to sing "Negative Thinking" with Spank Rock & Ninjasonik. Johnny even 'tweeted' this photo a few months later, which is flattering.

2. Wavves at the Zodiac
Wavves at the Zodiac
Fun fun fun.

1.
No Age at Sonar
No Age at the Baltimore Round Robin
I love the graphic qualities of this photo. I got bruised when photographing No Age from the front, but I was also able to go behind the makeshift stage to get some shots. Deerhunter and Dan Deacon were also great during this Round Robin show.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rad photos, Chrissy! Can;t wait to see what you shoot in 2010 :)